The Surfboard Shaping Starter Kit
Greenlight has developed this deluxe surfboard building starter kit to make it easy for all surfers, of any age or ability, to build a quality, more sustainable, fun to ride surfboard.
Haven't built a surfboard before? No Problem! We got you covered!
Our instructional videos not only give you the knowledge and confidence to build great surfboards, but also go so far to show you situations to avoid during the building process that would normally ruin your efforts.
No expensive power tools necessary, no special shaping bay either. These videos get back to the basics of soulful garage shaping.
You'll definitely discover a deeper connection with your surfing experience and attain a new level of stoke riding surfboards you built with this kit!
Deluxe Surfboard Building Kit Includes:
- Instructional Videos
- EPS Surfboard Blank
- Surfboard Glassing Materials Package
- Shaping Tool Kit
- Glassing Tool Kit
- Fin Boxes
1. Instructional Videos:
- Greenlight's Instructional Shaping Video - Evolved to instill knowledge and confidence to shape a great board your very first time (Download link will be emailed to you upon order with receipt)
- Greg Loeher's EPOXY 101 DVD- the Godfather of epoxy glassed surfboards shows you all the tricks!
2. Choose Your EPS Surfboard Blank:
- 5'9" for Hi Performance shortboards
- 5'10" for Fish, Biscuit, and high volume shortboards
- 6'3" for 5'10 - 6'3" Fish style boards
- 6'4" for 5'11" - 6'4" high performance shortboards
- 6'5" for larger Fishes, Eggs, or Anything up to 6'5"*
*The 6'5” blank is specially designed for first time shapers with a little extra foam throughout lets you "get the feel" of shaping without ruining your board
3. Surfboard Glassing Materials Package:
4 oz. Fiberglass Cloth - Standard glassing schedule of 2 layers deck / 1 layer bottom
Resin Research Epoxy Resin - Specifically formulated for surfboards
Resin Research Additive F (Sanding agent) - Makes sanding easier for you
FACTORY Micro Leash Plug
4 Sheets Ink Jet / Laser Printer Custom Logo Paper - Create your own surfboard logos
*Bonus: 10 facts about Epoxy Resins to make it even easier Tip Sheet
4. Surfboard Shaping Tool Kit:
Steel Shaping Rasp
Mini Stringer Trim Plane
1 sheet Tigershark Shaping Paper
1 sheet Sandshark Sanding Screen for Rails
12" x 9" Foam Sanding Pad
Foam Padding for Shaping Racks
Access to Greenlight's Downloadable Outline Templates
5. Surfboard Glassing Tool Kit:
5 pair Latex Gloves
2 Resin Mixing Buckets
2 Resin Pumps
(2) 4" Hotcoat Brushes
1 Roll Masking Tape
Resin Mixing Stick
1 sheet 60 Grit Sandpaper
2 Sheets 80 Grit Sandpaper
1 Sheet 120 Grit Sandpaper
1 Sheet 150 Grit Sandpaper
2 Sheets 220 Grit Sandpaper
6. Fin Boxes
This kit includes 3 fin boxes of your choice:
Recommended Fin System
FACTORY Fin Plugs easy installation with a standard drill and holesaw bit
The following Fin Systems Require an Install Kit and Electric Router to Install:
You also have the option of adding the finbox install kit at a discounted price with this surfboard kit.
Kits are shipped to your door with UPS Ground.
Note: All Engineered EPS Blanks are made to order. Please allow 4-5 days before picking up or shipping.
We Also Recommend
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
how thick are the 6'5" blanks. I want to shape my first board but I want some volume and width. Im going for a fat fish.
The stock 6'5F EPS Foam Blank included in the kit is 3 1/4" thick. We can provide the blank in any thickness you want though in 1/4" increments up to 3 3/4" thick. Just write what blank thickness you prefer in the checkout notes.
What is included in the beginner surfboard shaping kit?
Our beginner surfboard shaping kits include everything you need to get started shaping boards at home by hand. All the materials, tools, instructions, safety equipment, and support. All you need extra is wood and screws to build your shaping racks. We even give you padding for the shaping racks you build and a free surfboard outline template of your choice from our Template Library. The only thing not included is the fin boxes and fin install supplies since that is a personal preference and usually depends on what type of fins you currently own and ride. The beginner kits come with an Engineered EPS blank and epoxy resin so you can build a stronger board that will last (most people keep their first shape as a memory of the fun) and it's much less toxic and smelly than glassing with polyester resin so you can do it in your garage or basement without stinking the whole house up! We ship the beginner kits to your door with UPS to reduce the shipping costs. You will glue the blank halves and stringer together in a simple process. Here's a video of how to glue your blank to save about $100 in shipping costs!
I’m shaping and ordering a shaping starter kit, so a recommendation for which fins and fin system to get would be super helpful/awesome.
For a first timer, the easiest and least expensive fin system to install is FCS X-2 Fin Plugs or FACTORY Fin Plugs
You'll need 2 plugs per fin... for a tri fin you'll order 4 RAIL plugs and 2 CENTER Plugs, if you're making a quad fin order 8 RAIL plugs as the RAIL Plugs have a fin cant angle molded in
FCS X-2 Plugs and FACTORY fin plugs only require a normal power drill, this downloadable fin plug layout template, and this special X-2 holesaw bit.
Two other fin box options which are installed before fiberglassing your board are:
FCS Fusion Fin Boxes which require a Fusion Install Kit and Trim Router.
and new FCS II finbox system which require an FCS II install Kit and Trim Router.
Here's how to install the X-2 and FACTORY fin plugs with a drill:
1. FCS X-2 and FACTORY plugs are installed after the hotcoat. After installation and the resin has cured, you sand them down flush with the board while sanding the bottom.
2. Once you have the fin plug layout templates laid out on the board (lined up with your shapers dots) you will use a X-2 Hole Saw Bit to make your holes for the plugs. Drill the hole 5'8" deep and pull the foam out with needle nose plyers or dig out with a flathead screw driver.
3. We suggest using either a set of fins to set the plugs with the correct spacing as well as adjust the fin cant angle. Lightly screw the plugs onto the dummy jig tabs. If using fin keep the plugs loose on the fin tabs so you can push them down to where the "nubs" on the plugs touch the hotcoat.
4. Use Resin Research 2000 CE ULTRA resin inlcuded in the kit. In temperatures hotter than 80 degrees F, mix 1/2 oz per plug. You will fill the plug hole twice to reduce exotherm and prevent melting the foam.
or you can use Resin Research Quick Kick Epoxy to reduce exotherm and prevent melting the foam.
5. Pour about 1/2 oz mixed resin into the holes.
6. Place the plugs in the holes with the fins to ensure proper alignment. Set the fin cant to the desired angle and hold in place with tape.
7. In temps above 80 degrees F, let the first pour cure for about 1 hour then mix another 1/2 oz Quik Kick resin per plug an top off. Using a small cup (dixie cups work great) carefully pour resin around the perimeter of the plug so it runs into the drilled hole. Be careful not to over fill! Fill just under the lip of the plug and jig.
8. Once the resin cures sand the plugs down until they are flush with the board.
Can I request the "US Blank 63EA" as my blank or do I need to use one of the one's from the list?
Thanks for your interest in Greenlight. In this kit you must select a blank from the drop down list as the kits contain Engineered EPS foam blanks and are packaged to ship for the lowest cost possible (about $50 depending where you are). We recommend the "Shape Up to 6'4" blank in this kit as it is very close to the shape and rocker of US Blanks 63EA.
If you want a US Blank please order all the materials a la carte and shipping costs will show in the checkout. There is a $20 additional box fee for shipping US Blanks.
For more info on blank shipping please read our Shipping Information.